Is Jose Cuervo 100% Agave? Answered (2023 Updated)

Last Updated on August 22, 2023 by Lydia Martin

Jose Cuervo is one of the best-selling tequilas in the world. It has fueled many escapades and memories in nightclubs, bars, and home parties. 

Many well-known tequilas are advertised as “made with pure agave,” but is Jose Cuervo 100% agave? Scroll down to find out. 

Does Jose Cuervo Use 100% Agave? 

Jose Cuervo

Yes, plenty of Jose Cuervo variants use 100% agave. However, not all expressions use pure Blue Agave.

There are ten Jose Cuervo expressions, but two expressions are mixto, which means they only contain 51% agave. Only the Jose Cuervo Especial Gold and Silver variants are mixto.

By Law, tequilas must be made from 51% agave [1], and the 49% can be a composition of whatever ingredients they want to add.

Therefore, if a tequila expression does not have the label “100% de agave” or “100% Blue Weber agave,” it is a mixto.

Jose Cuervo’s Main Ingredients 

Jose Cuervo’s main ingredient is Blue Weber Agave or Agave Azul. The agaves are grown in the flatland below the Tequila Volcano and handpicked when they are matured enough. 

Blue Agave looks like a cactus, but it was a relative of lily. By law, the Blue Agave should come from the states of Jalisco, Nayarit, Michocan, Tamaulipas, and Guanajuato. 

Aside from Blue agave, Jose Cuervo uses additives in their mixto variants. They use oak extract, caramel coloring, sugar-based syrup, or glycerin. But what’s the best tequila in Mexico?

What Kind of Agave Do They Use? 

Blue Weber Agave

Jose Cuervo uses Blue Weber Agave for all of the brand’s tequilas. There can be different varieties of agave in Mexico, but to be considered tequila, the tequila should be made from Blue Weber Agave. 

Blue Agave is a strong variety that can easily be cultivated and has a short maturation period (5-9 years) because wild agaves may take 9-12 years. 

Do All Jose Cuervo Tequilas Use 100% Pure Agave?

Jose Cuervo & Coke with glass

No, not all Jose Cuervo Tequilas use 100% pure agave. Jose Cuervo Especial Gold and Silver do not use 100% pure agave because they contain 51% agave only. 

Jose Cuervo Tradicional Cristalino, Tradicional Añejo, Tradicional Tequila Plata, Tradicional Reposado, Anniversario, and Reserva De La Familia (3 expressions) used 100% pure agave. 

If you check the label, every expression mentioned is labeled with “100% de agave.”

Where Does It Source Its Agave? 

Tequila Volcano Crater

Jose Cuervo owns the largest possession of agave in the world, and it is nestled in the flatland below the Tequila Volcano, Western Mexico. 

The Jimadores cultivate and harvest the agave from their plantation and do not source in other locations. 

It may take about eight years to harvest the agave, and the Jimadores will prune and replant agave until it is cut down to its final form. 

Read: What’s Our Favorite Tequila Chaser?


Does Jose Cuervo give you a hangover?

Yes, Jose Cuervo can give you a hangover. However, since it contains low congeners, it may give you minimal hangovers.

Unlike other spirits, tequilas do not contain many congeners or sugars, which means they will not give you a heavy hangover. 

Does Jose Cuervo use additives?

Jose Cuervo possibly uses additives but only on its mixto expressions: Jose Cuervo Especial Gold and Silver.

Since the expressions are mixtos, they may contain 51% agave. The remaining 49% can be caramel coloring, oak extract, sugar-based syrup, or glycerin. 

Final Verdict

Jose Cuervo uses 100% agave in most of its expressions, but Jose Cuervo Especial Gold and Silver do not bear the statement 100% de agave.

That being said, Jose Cuervo uses 100% agave, but not in all of the tequila offerings. 

Jose Cuervo Especial Gold and Silver are the brand’s lower-end products labeled “Made with Agave.”

Mixto is not the best quality tequila, so if you want to taste the best, you can try the remaining eight Jose Cuervo expressions made from 100% agave. 



Lisa Dimarco

Lisa is a freelance lifestyle writer specializing in nightlife, leisure, and celebration. She has been in the field for eight years and has written articles featured in various local blogs and lifestyle magazines. For Lisa, there’s nothing better than an ice-cold drink after a rough day (she’s not fussy). But she also likes to get a bit fancy every now and then. She believes you can never go wrong with a Moscow Mule or a classic Daiquiri anywhere you go. Contact at [email protected] or learn more about us here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *