Last Updated on August 21, 2023 by Lydia Martin
If you want to complete the Discovery Series of the Bardstown Bourbon Company, you should know more about the spirits first.
With all the Discovery Series released, from #1 to #9, there’s one bottle that made a mark and is recognized by our palate— the Discovery Series #4. But how do we say so?
Find out why this series is special in this Bardstown Bourbon review.
Overview of Bardstown Bourbon Discovery Series #4
The fourth season of Bardstown Bourbon Discovery Series features three distinctly different aged Kentucky bourbons blended to create a unique and smooth expression.
- 55% of the blend is a 13-YO Kentucky Bourbon (Barton) made from 74% corn, 18% rye, and 8% barley.
- 37% of the blend is a 15 YO Kentucky Bourbon (rumored to be Jim Beam) made from 78.5% corn, 13% rye, and 8.5% barley.
- 8% of the blend is a 10-YO Kentucky Bourbon (speculated to be Wild Turkey) made from 75% corn, 13% rye, and 12% malted barley.
With this blend, Bardstown Bourbon #4 delivers intense flavors of caramel and baking spices, with notes of dried figs and dates, contributing to the complexity of the experience.
|Distillery||Bardstown Bourbon Company|
|Classification & Region||Bourbon/Kentucky|
|Mash Bill||75.7% corn, 15.8% rye, and 8.5% barley|
|Age Statement||NAS (but blend of at least 13-Year-Old whiskeys)|
|Rating||5 Stars (Top-Shelf)|
|Average Price||Around $139 (750ml)|
What’s Bardstown Bourbon Discovery Series #4?
Bardstown Bourbon Discovery Series #4 is the fourth installment of the said series, which showcases the art of blending.
This fourth installment highlights old and rare spirits sourced from different origins (undisclosed). It’s produced in small batches and is currently hard to find these days.
Bottled at 115-proof (or 57.5% ABV), it’s deep and complex, which we find suitable for experienced drinkers.
So far, Bardstown has released nine variations of the Discovery Series.
For your reference, here’s the full list:
- Discovery Series #1 – 60.6% ABV
- Discovery Series #2 – 61.1% ABV
- Discovery Series #3 – 55% ABV
- Discovery Series #4 – 57.7% ABV
- Discovery Series #5 – 47.5% ABV
- Discovery Series #6 – 55.6% ABV
- Discovery Series #7 – 57.3% ABV
- Discovery Series #8 – 57.1% ABV
- Discovery Series #9 – 56.3% ABV
Packed with brown sugar and notes of molasses. The aromas of oak and vanilla follow, complemented by the slight citrus and menthol-like rye spice hints.
It feels creamy on the mouth. Along the creaminess shows the sweet fruit notes, and the brown sugar from the nose extends to the palate.
As it develops, the cinnamon and rye spice notes show up, followed by sweetness from dark chocolate, vanilla buttercream, and honey.
It’s sweet and savory. But along with that, there’s some heat with heavy oak, char, and rye spice notes.
As expected from its proof, the warmth of the spirit lingers on the throat and chest.
On our first sip, it’s fruity and sugary. There are some wood notes, but it’s mellow and soft. Initially, we thought it was not complex due to the sweet notes, contrasting its higher proof. In short, the proof of this spirit isn’t that evident in just one sip.
As we continue, the tasting notes start to get deep and robust. The woody notes and rye spiciness are getting apparent.
This time, the old-aged bourbon blend in this series comes out, significantly influencing the overall profile of the spirit.
But what we like about this series is that the oak and spicy notes are balanced and not that overwhelming.
Why We Like It
We like Bardstown Bourbon Discovery Series #4 because:
- It’s a well-crafted expression, showing expertise and character. The fruitiness, sweetness, heat, oak, and spice are well-balanced. We don’t find any off notes in this spirit (based on our preference).
- It delivers richness, depth, and a nice body at once, which is hard to find in other bourbon brands.
- If you like Series #3, you’ll surely like this one as it’s a better version and far more desirable than the #2 release.
- It’s quite complex for beginners. If you’re new to bourbons, you’ll find this overwhelming.
- Another thing, it’s quite pricey. (But if you have money to splurge on this spirit, why not.)
- This is not an ideal everyday bourbon drink. Aside from its high price, it’s rare. You can’t easily find a bottle of this series in local liquor stores, even online stores.
Bardstown Bourbon Discovery Series #4 Rating
All things considered, Bardstown Bourbon Discovery Series #4 is 5 out of 5.
“Bardstown Bourbon has quickly established itself as a distilling leader for premium bourbon brands.”— Chris Trick, Investment Partner at PPC
We rate it a perfect 5-Star as it’s high-quality, expensive, and rare.
This is the type of bourbon suitable for very special occasions. (It’s hard to find, so you better turn on your whiskey-hunting skills)
To Sip or Skip?
Obviously, this spirit shouldn’t be skipped. It’s worth sipping, and most importantly, it’s worth the money.
It’s complex, but given its blend and proof, it’s flawless. Mind you – we’re used to the different complexities of whiskeys.
And based on our experience (and preference), this is an excellent blend: smooth and balanced despite the strong alcohol and flavor, plus the heat.
If you have yet to purchase a bottle of this series, you can try other alternatives like:
- BBC Fusion 8, 95.5-proof
- Origin Series Bourbon, 96-proof
- Founders KBS Stout Finish, 100-proof
Who makes Bardstown bourbon?
Bardstown bourbon was made by Bardstown Bourbon Company, located in Bardstown, KY.
This company is known as an innovative distiller and bottler of several premium ryes and Kentucky bourbon brands , like Belle Meade, High West, and Jefferson’s.
Is Bardstown the Bourbon Capital of the world?
Yes. Bardstown in Kentucky is the “Bourbon Capital of the Word.” It is home to the “Kentucky Bourbon Festival,” world-famous distilleries, and even new craft distillation facilities.
Where is Bardstown Bourbon sourced?
Bardstown bourbon has been sourced from different distilleries across the Kentucky region before.
Now, BBC is moving away from sourcing to making their own whiskeys .
The Discovery Series #4 is a wonderful blend made from three old-aged Kentucky Bourbons.
The nose is aromatic, with a creamy texture and sweet fruit notes on the palate.
The edge of this whiskey lies in the finish; it carries the entire experience, delivering a smooth and satisfying feel in every sip.
We’d love to hunt a bottle of this spirit again.