Last Updated on November 29, 2022 by Lydia Martin
Whiskey is a type of drink we can consume in almost any way. And the most common is to serve it neat. However, many whiskey drinkers get confused with neat and other whiskey terminologies in the bar, like up and straight-up.
What is a whiskey neat and why do some people like it that way?
Whiskey Neat Meaning
A “whiskey neat” means it is simply a clean and simple drink that doesn’t require added ingredients. It is different from whiskeys served straight up as it doesn’t involve chilling or adding any flavor.
A whiskey neat should be served two ounces at room temperature using a lowball cocktail glass. You shouldn’t use a shot glass, jigger, or any measuring implement, and you should not use a martini glass or pint glass, either.
Whiskey Neat Key Facts
What Is It?
A neat whisky lets you appreciate its flavor without the need for additional ingredients. If you’re drinking something lackluster, you might end up reaching for the ice and the cocktail book.
On the other hand, if you’re drinking a special whiskey, a neat pour is the perfect format to appreciate its complexity. When drinking whiskey, remember to drink it slowly and carefully. Never pour it in one go. Also, don’t treat it like a shot. Some people find its flavor akin to a punch in the face.
Benefits of Drinking Whiskey Neat
- It has a lower calorie count, zero sugar, and is very low in fat. So, you can avoid putting on extra weight.
- During the aging process, whisky can get high levels of ellagic acid, which can help neutralize harmful substances in the body. This compound can also reduce the risk of cancer.
- Drinking moderate amounts of alcohol can lower a person’s risk of heart disease.
- A couple of glasses of single malt whisky can help you get through a stressful day. Also, it can help you relax and feel better. However, it’s important to remember that it should be enjoyed in moderation.
- In moderation, drinking whisky can help prevent blood clots from forming. It can also help lower the risk of an ischaemic stroke. This is because drinking it neat can help prevent blood clots from forming.
Potential Risks of Drinking It Neat
- Drinking a few drinks of whisky in a short period can cause intoxication. It can increase blood alcohol levels that can cause you to make irrational and risky decisions. Thus, take it slow when you drink whisky neat.
- There’s a slight chance you will become addicted. So, have it in moderation to avoid alcohol addiction.
- Drinking it neat might interfere with medication. It can affect the function of certain medications, such as beta-blockers and antidepressants. If you are taking these drugs, talk to your doctor about the risks of drinking whiskey straight.
- The scar tissue formation in the liver can cause cirrhosis, leading to a buildup of toxins in the blood. You can avoid this condition by drinking in moderation.
Is It The Same as Whiskey Straight Up?
Drinking a whiskey neat has a different approach than drinking straight-up. When serving whiskey neat, after you pour the spirit into the glass (preferably a neat glass), the glass should have directly absorbed the alcoholic beverage.
While, in a straight-up drink, ice cubes are added to the spirits and chilled. Then, the ice is shaken or stirred in cocktails or mixed drinks. So, there is a difference between neat and drinks served straight-up.
Why Whiskey Is Best Served Neat?
Whiskeys are best served neat because it allows you to savor the authentic flavor of the spirit neat. You’ll likely have a better tasting experience with neat drinks than with diluted whiskey, as you can distinguish between the flavor complexity and subtle nuances.
With the best whiskey brands today, you can get a sweeter flavor and smoother finish compared to a mixed drink with added flavors or ingredients.
How To Drink A Whisky Neat
One best way to drink whiskey neat is using a lowball cocktail glass. Sipped the liquid slowly and appreciated the nuance of the drink. You can pour it the same way as liquor shots, but you should not drink it in one gulp.
Can You Add Water To It?
You can add water to a neat whiskey. Although the main idea of drinking neat whiskey is to savor its original flavor, our whiskey enthusiasts recommend adding a few drops of water to make it more interesting.
Also, if you’re starting to drink whiskey neat, you can add ice on the side and take a few sips for a more pleasant taste.
Is Ice Acceptable To Be Added In A Whiskey Neat?
Ice is acceptable to be added to a whiskey neat, whether you opt for bourbon or any whiskey. While you can drink neat at room temperature, you can add ice to temper the alcohol intensity. Even if you’re used to drinking whisky neat, you should try adding some ice.
Can Beginners Drink It?
Beginners can drink neat, of course, but in moderation. Drinking whiskey served neat lets you savor the raw taste of the whiskey – be it Bourbon, Scotch, Rye whiskey, or any other spirit. For some whiskey, you might find the taste strong when you drink it neat.
But, there are smooth whiskeys, which are perfect for drinking neat without the need for mixers.
Is it okay to drink whiskey neat every day?
No, it’s not okay to drink whiskey every day, especially if not in the correct way. Drinking it neat and straight once a week is better. We recommend having one or two servings a week (not the whole bottle). Still, moderation is key. Though consuming alcohol has possible health benefits, it’s not risk-free .
Is it harmful to drink whiskey neat?
Drinking whiskey neat is not harmful to your health as long as you consume it in moderation. According to journal scientific reports, though it’s popular, adding ice or a few drops of water can lower the alcohol concentration and impose a huge difference on the flavor . Bourbon whiskey served straight, and diluted whiskey tastes different and has distinct health benefits.
A “whiskey neat” is an excellent way to drink and double-check the flavor and finish of your favorite Bourbon, Scotch, or any spirit bottle. It is best poured in a lowball glass (or chilled cocktail glass) for a better experience. However, always remember to drink in moderation. Now, get your glasses up, pour, and enjoy the drink!
Lydia Martin hails from Redmond, Washington, where you’ll find some of the best cocktail bars and distilleries that offer a great mix of local drinks. She used to work as a bar manager in Paris and is a self-taught mixologist whose passion for crafting unique cocktails led her to create Liquor Laboratory. Lydia can whip up a mean Margarita in seconds! Contact at [email protected] or learn more about us here.