Last Updated on November 21, 2023 by Lydia Martin
If you’re looking for a fun and exciting way to liven up your gatherings, look no further than the Civil War Drinking Game.
Luckily for you, I’ve got the lowdown on this thrilling drinking game that’s bound to be the life of the party. For a quick guide, keep reading!
What’s the Civil War Drinking Game?
The Civil War Drinking Game is a fast-paced drinking game, like the traditional Beer Pong, played in a 3v3 format (three players on each team), where the objective is to throw toss ping pong balls into water or beer cups.
“Ping pong balls and party nights – a perfect combination.” – Liquor Laboratory
Each team player has either three cups or six cups lifeline positioned in a triangle format on the table, and they take rapid shots and aim carefully at the cups of their opposing team’s players.
Civil War Drinking Game Objective
The aim of the Civil War Drinking Game is to outmaneuver the opposing players by sinking all their cups.
You must sink your opponent’s cup as you throw ping pong balls before they sink your team’s water cups. The team loses if all the player’s cups sink and the last player standing is the winner.
Like Beer Pong, this is one of the drinking games that requires camaraderie and competition. You can play it with two teams, each with equal players – usually three to six players (for larger teams).
Whether you want to play with your buddy or go head-to-head, this game will surely bring out your competitive spirit, which is the game’s point.
You’ll need your favorite alcoholic drink (I highly recommend beer), preferably in solo cups or glasses.
You’ll need a set of balls for each team. These lightweight balls are perfect for tossing and are easy to handle even after a few rounds of play.
Depending on how many will play, you might need two balls or four ping-pong balls.
You’ll need a set of cups for each team as well. Standard 16-ounce plastic cups worked perfectly for the Civil War.
Fill them with your chosen drinks, like beer, and you’re ready to go.
- Thumper Drinking Game Rules
- Elf Drinking Game Rules
- Rules on Drinking Games With Cups
- Golf Drinking Game Rules
Civil War Drinking Game’s Set-Up
Two sets of three players stand on opposite sides of the table.
Every player has three or six cups, organized in a triangular configuration on the table, with cups arranged in a 3-2-1 set-up.
I suggest each team have two cups or more of beer, as the match becomes more enjoyable and moves faster action when beer is poured into the cups.
Civil War Drinking Game’s Rules
Here are the game’s traditional rules:
- The game starts when the first team throws the ball at the other team. The two teams take turns tossing ping-pong balls into the opponent’s cups.
- When your ping pong ball lands in your opposing team’s cup, the other team or the opposing team member must drink the contents of that cup.
- The team shoots a ball continuously until one team eliminates all of the other team’s cups on the table.
- The last team standing is the winner, and the losing team must drink any remaining cups.
When rebound balls or any bounced ball lands in an opponent’s cup, it scores as a double hit. Consequently, the opponent must consume a drink and take out two cups once the ball lands in a cup.
- Same cup: Remove four cups from the table when two players consecutively shoot in the same cup (two ping pong balls shoot in the same cup).
- Island: It can be declared when one cup is isolated; hitting it removes two cups, but it must be made in the “island cup” precisely and can only be called once per team per match.
Strategy & Tips
Like the Beer Pong, dominate this match by honing your throwing skills and developing a solid strategy with your teammate so the other players lose.
A succession drinking game for the use of the C-word would lead to a dose of alcohol poisoning requiring hospital admission.” — Janet Albrechtsen, Australian Columnist
Aim for the trickier shot to catch your opponents off guard. Keep an eye on the opposing team’s cups or tossed ball, and be ready to counter their moves.
Games Similar To Civil War Drinking Game
You might also enjoy these other drinking games :
- Beer Pong: The classic Beer Pong beer game that inspired the Civil War, but with a twist.
- Flip Cup: A fast-paced game of teamwork and coordination.
- Kings: A card-based drinking match that keeps the joy flowing.
- Drunk Jenga: A tipsy take on the classic block-stacking game.
Is there a Civil War board game?
No, there’s no Civil War board game. It’s only a spirited party drinking game, like Beer Pong , played with drinks and ping pong balls, designed for fun gatherings.
Can anyone play the Civil War Drinking Game?
Yes, anyone can play the Civil War Drinking game as long as you’re of legal drinking age.
The Civil War Drinking Game is the ultimate way to elevate your parties and gatherings. With its simple yet competitive gameplay, it’s sure to keep your guests and friends entertained.
Remember, whether you win or lose, the real victory lies in the laughter, camaraderie, and unforgettable memories created while playing this exciting drinking game.